Thursday, August 09, 2007

When you say nothing at all

" You say it best,
When you say nothing at all"

I doubt the above mentioned lines need introduction. They are from the much famous song by Ronan Keating (OST of Notting Hill, a hit movie owing to it's attractive Brit hunk, and no I'm not talking about Spike ) sung in a romantic-emotions evoking voice. The classic mushy make -your - heart melt song. And it makes me go "Aaawwww"

Yeh, I'm a fan of the song. My friends tease me over the fact, that no guy will ever find it appropriate to dedicate the song to me, because I usually DO have something to say. I snarl in return. Okay, so I resort to vicious expressions when words fail, but it still falls under the "Saying nothing at all" category. It does!

But they joke, and I ignore. See, saying nothing at all again. And I dream about that bench in the park. The blue house. The handsome Brit hunk. ( No, not Spike! Geez! ) And I smile to myself and say Someday.....

But, reality is quite different than that described by a chart topper. And such discoveries don't take time to sink in.

It, honestly, sucks having nothing to say. Almost suffocating. Like defeat, where you console yourself saying that maybe, just maybe, your silence will make some difference. But then, that's just wishful thinking. And lots of willpower.

It stifles, not being able to express. And not being able to express usually stems from knowing and accepting that what you say won't matter. And that's pretty harsh.

It's better, I guess, to say something wrong. You can apologize later. It's best to say something right. An ego boost, plus instant trust.

Of course, saying nothing at all is different than "choosing" not to say anything. The latter at least leaves you with a feeling of doing good by keeping mum. Having nothing to say at all, that's resignation of thought. Loss of influence. Loss of worth.

It's when you try hard to divert, distract and adopt the " It really doesn't matter to me" attitude. You lie to yourself, though deep down you know you have been beaten.

Romantic or not, I'd rather not have " speechless" moments. I would prefer having the capacity to utter a "Wow", "Amazing", "Oh god!" in situations, rather than be overwhelmed by emotions of disturbing, conflicting nature and build a wall around myself.

I'm sure Paul Overstreet and Don Schlitz did not want me to feel this way. They did include a smile on the face and truth in eyes in the lyrics, and I probably should have let that soothe my agitation. But, that's just me, putting in my two pence.

What do you have to say?

13 comments:

~~ @ks|-|@y@ ~~ said...

its not about being beaten... we all are beat sometime or the other...

its the fact that ur words dont carry as much weight any longer as they are labelled under the "oh-its-her/his-usual-non-stop-chattering" ..

i being pretty much similar, feel that people call us talkative(in the neg sense).. only cuz they cant strike a decent 2 line conversation.. with anyone but their best friends...

Its just that thing like "sour grapes" :)

So u go ahead.. n speak to your heart's content.. cuz if u dunt.. then u wont be who u r :)

Anonymous said...

Since when did you need to ask for someone to listen to you, girl? :) The freedom of expression never made more sense since blogging began! And if you feel like no ones listening, give me call, dumdum!! im only a thousand miles away, but watever.. :) love always...

Jitesh Shah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Words are not the only form of cogent expression.... infact words would be the poorest form...

There's nothing as serene as a momentary meeting of eyes... or a beaming smile... or a furtive look... the apprehension when u dare to make a move... her feel.. her voice... her mere presence... How can one even think of words to express such emotions... words would be soo grossly insufficient!!

U'll know.. u'll know what i mean when the time comes!!:D:D

Vedang said...

anon has a point... i totally agree... sometimes words are just not sufficient, and not speaking doesn't imply defeat.

just saying something back for the sake of it can be disastrous, you can genuinely hurt the other person (even if you only wanted to save your own dignity). True skill lies in knowing when to speak and when to shut your trap.

Vedang said...

and you still have comment moderation? i was wondering why i didnt comment when you wrote this post. now i know.

Its Me said...

I agree with the part that one shd talk coz talking is the hue of life .. (Deep huh ?)

But i dont agree with the "say nothing at all" ..

When u have that perfect moment, when everything is shining, ur breath is ragged and words splutter out, for an instant, they will stop and u will appreciate how beautiful life really is .. and then i can guarantee that u will say
" You say it best,When you say nothing at all" ..

Ketaki said...

its sad that you find it a defeat the other way round...
i hope that you will get to experience at least one such sensationally romantic moment in your life where you find that it really means that you are very strong!!

Mithila said...

My my, lots of romantic wisdom coming my way :) Means you've been reading the blog!! Nice to know...

Anyway, I think the song I used was incorrect for the context I was writing in...

I don't mean to say that being at a loss for words, in a brilliant romantic moment is a bad thing. Trust me, I'm quite the romantic!

Au contraire, what I was trying to say is, there are moments when a person says something, or does something, that is so painful, that you can't say anything
" It stifles, not being able to express. And not being able to express usually stems from knowing and accepting that what you say won't matter. And that's pretty harsh."

What I'm trying to say is, it hurts when you feel your words don't matter to the person in front of you.

I guess it contradicts here
" Romantic or not, I'd rather not have " speechless" moments. I would prefer having the capacity to utter a "Wow", "Amazing", "Oh god!" in situations, rather than be overwhelmed by emotions of disturbing, conflicting nature and build a wall around myself."

I'm not referring though ( albeit, maybe it not being clear in the writing) to the awesome feeling you have in that "sensationally" romantic situation, you all seem to have described. Except Maybe Akshaya and Esther.I'm referring to the keeping quiet in the UNromantic sense.

Will try to make the distinction clearer next time.

Don't deem me unromantic! I live for those truly beautiful moments.

Honestly. :)

Mithila said...

Oh, and by the way, love the way you guys have expressed your opinions! It's nice to see so many!

A compliment really. That it evoked such feelings!!

~~ @ks|-|@y@ ~~ said...

well... i think .. mebbe esther n yours truly :) are probably also members of the gang that simply Loves to talk.. and add their 2 cents to everything... like you have rightly mentioned!! :)

The rest have tried to read -- BETWEEN-- the lines ... rather than read them.... and well it is an art in itself to write a post like that, which is open to interpretation... and brings out the feelings of the ones who read it... each of the interpretations stems from a personal experience some time in life...

:)

Anyway... you write well as always.. but its always good to hear it again :)

And i love the ending!!!

"Don't deem me unromantic! I live for those truly beautiful moments.

Honestly. :)"

Very well framed... :)

FateGlimpse said...

ya the song makes me go 'Awwwww' too.V romantic number indeed.Makes you feel all mushy. Here's how I interpret ur 'having nothing to say'-there are situations when you want to get a word in, but you just don't know how to respond.And remain silent or nod blankly.Maybe coz you're too shocked to respond/you're scared of being judged by your opinion/you really don't know anything abt the topic being talked abt so wud rather stay mum than appear stupid/you're feeling so numb by what you heard that u can't come up with anything/ you're feeling intimidated by the person who just spoke. Plus, we all like to get the last word in. All this makes one feel powerless and a lil worthless too. sometimes.And on 'saying nothing at all' -there's beauty in non-verbal communication.A magical intimacy that verbal comm can't match.A language that only your close circle of people can understand. I love the quality of exclusiveness that non verbal communication enjoys-only the 2 ppl involved can understand it.

Mithila said...

Fateglimpse...
I'll just say.... Good to have you back and blogging again :)

Powered By Blogger